Re: Household radioactive materials?

>> Don't forget smoke detectors!  They usually
>>have about 1 microcurie of Am-241, and some have up to 5 microcuries.
><snip>
>
>We had a few old suckers come in with 80 microcuries each!

When I worked for the Queensland Regulatory Authority, we repacked all the
old RS for transport to the new state store. Of the hundreds of old smoke
detectors, about 20 contained 100 microcuries of Ra 226 each!! Almost hot
enough to start a fire (ha ha)

Regards

                I know that you believe you understand what you think I said
                but I am not sure that what you heard is actually what I meant.

                        Alex Zapantis
                        Radiation Safety Officer
                        Queensland University of Technology
                        Health & Safety Section