Re: Kerala Downs Syndrome

Do you normally reply to an honest question in this way?  This is science in your terms?  God alone knows what you
make of the complex stats concerning the perception of risk by ordinary people.  I presume you merely consider them
irrelevant.  If you seriously think that any politician will risk re-election in the face of near unanimous fear of radiation
(whether valid or not) then you need your head examined.  There are a lot of serious REAL points simply being
ignored in this "discussion".  I am simply trying to get some sense out of it.  We will not see any rise in the permitted
level of radiation limits come what may.  This is due to fear of the unknown.  Radiation will always be the unknown to
the vast majority.  Remember we fear the unknown too.  We will all have our areas we don't know about that we
overestimate out of all proportion the risks and which we will not listen to anyone telling us different.

What worries me most in the radiation world is the nuclear plant operators.  We've got two brilliant examples of what
happens when they "ride for the brand" instead of following the rules (Three Mile Island and Chernobyl).  Nobody has
yet convinced me that some arrogant twit will not "know better" than those who wrote the rules.  The arrogance with
which this "discussion" has been carried out does not incline me to hope.

David Walland

By the way from my degree in Health and Safety, psychology, sociology and behaviour of organisations have proved
to be of the most enduring use to me over the years.