Re[2]: Kerala Downs Syndrome

     I will agree with you that it is the "fear" of the unknown that will
     keep the limits as they are. I happen to believe that the current
     programs in place are adequate to protect the health and safety of the
     public as well as the radiation work force. As far as the nuclear
     plant operators, in this country, I will take exception to your
     comments. Three Mile Island incident occurred in March 1979, almost 17
     years ago. Much has been improved in the areas of equipment
     reliability and training as lessons learned were implemented. The
     nuclear power industry has still proven itself to be one of the safest
     industries. I'd rather live and work around a nuclear power plant than
     to live across town from a chemical plant any day. As a matter of
     fact, I'd rather live on a plant site all the time than to drive to
     and from work using I-95. It's a matter of "perceived risk" rather
     than actual risk.

     Nuclear power plants are one of the most regulated industries in this
     country. This has focused our attention on improving what we do and
     how we do it to ensure that safety is our most important job. How many
     other industries, nuclear or not can boast that kind of statement?

     Sandy Perle
     Supervisor Health Physics
     Florida Power and Light Company
     Nuclear Division