Re: Please critique this fact sheet!

Interesting that this use of "factual data" is feeding the public frenzy about
radiation just at the time we are talking about the use of "factual data" in
feeding the public frenzy.

>      Kara,
>
>      I don't know the correct rebuttal to the anti's claims, but I
>      would like to point out that the public's perception is a
>      seperate problem, not always based on knowlege. The anti is
>      trying to create a perception of risk, regardless of the facts,
>      and that perception is every bit as powerful as any true risk.

"Trying to create a perception of risk"... hmmm.

The public is rational, that react to what they are told in the context that
they are told. As Roz Yalow wrote to the Med Physics community (and many
others have stated in the HPS, Jounal, Newsletter, and meetings), and as Sohei
Kondo says in "Health Effects of Low-level Radiation", we can't blame the
media, the hysteria is created by the profession, in words, and as I
originally noted in our actions (otherwide known as massive over-reactions).
Who is taking corrective action.

>      I will also be looking for radsafer's comments on your posting.
>
>      John Hughes
>      hughesj@songs.sce.com

Thanks.

Regards, Jim Muckerheide