Re: DOE Tritium Supply PEIS

I have been following this thread and probably should throw in my 2 cents.

States do not regulate isotopes or radiation producing equipment on federal
property.  The DoD, DOE and other federal agencies all fall under the rules
and regulations of the NRC, EPA, FDA, etc but not under the rules of the
states.  There are exceptions to this BROAD statement so I am sure that I
will be soundly pounced on by others.

The FDA does regulate mammography in the DoD under the MQSA-92 law.  MQSA
inspections of federal facilities are performed by FEDERAL
(e.g. FDA) inspectors.  NRC inspectors do the isotope license inspections.
Not knowing other federal agencies as well as I do DoD, I can't speak for
their rules; however, DoD and each of its branches have regulations
governing the control and use of ionizing radiation -- both source material
and x-ray machines  -- regardless of its orgin.

CAPT Jerry A. Thomas,  MSC, USN
Chief Radiological Physics
Department of Radiology/Nuclear Medicine
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
4301 Jones Bridge Road
Bethesda, MD  20814-4799

E-mail:  thomas@bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil
Phone:   (301) 295-3246