MS Office / Word

Sorry to continue on a non-health physics topic, but we all use
computers and this may save someone a headache.  In my previous
post on Win 95 I belabored some of our installation travails
(there's a word I seldom get to use).  We went through this so
that several of us had access to the same documents, which we
were/are working on using MS Word.

There is an _almost_ "undocumented feature" in Word that will cause
you to lose work.  When you install Word it defaults to allowing
a feature called Quick Save.  What you will find is that this default
will trash files saved over the network.  We lost files and were
blaming Win 95 and did not trust our new software.
I did not find any documentation of this until someone told me about
it.  I then tried to find where it was documented, and low and behold
buried deep inside the help files it tells you not to use Quick Save
over the network.

You can turn it off under the Tools/Options/Save menu.

Thanks Bill...

Dale Boyce
dale@radpro.uchicago.edu

Melissa calls us computer geeks "Techno Twits"
I've sure felt like that lately