Re: Public Information and Gresham's Law; The Public health strategy

Dear Radsafers: With about 30 years behind me of dealing with air
pollution in California, Occupational pesticide risks, and currently
microwave radiation, I offer some observations, mostly on credibility.
Most of us spend little time evaluating our credibility, and fail to
realize its fragility.  Gresham's law (economics) tells us that debased
coinage drives sound coinage off of the market.  This is also true of
epidemiology: poor epidemiological studies  of a topic make it much
harder to do sound studies of the same topic. (because of both unlikely
funding and public negativity).  So with public information.  Misleading
or tendentious information drives good and empathic information off the
presses and tubes. I recall the days when we (the U.S.) were still
testing at the Nevada site and the counts for rainfall and snow in the Sierras
took a big jump.  The fact of testing  was falsely denied, and the Health
Department said yes the counts were way above the standards, but there was
no health risk.  That implausible combination of soothing and frightening
statements set the Department's credibility plummeting.
	Still over the years, public health agencies
have kept a level of credibility that is durable and well above that of
 nuclear agencies, government and the medical profession ( or so do I
believe --on what evidence you may well ask? ).  In places with problems
such as Hanford and the Pacific Northwest, has there been an effort to
bring the local public health officers into the picture of admitting past
deceit and providing reasonable public advice?
              John Goldsmith, M.D., M.P.H., gjohn@BGUMAIL.bgu.as.IL
              Professor of Epidemiology, Ben Gurion University of the
                Negev, Beer Sheva 84 120 Israel