Re: MIT and NIH Incidents produce NRC Information Notice

I have a feeling that this is going to be a knee jerk type reaction by the
NRC.  The rules probably will not be changed; but the monitoring of their
implementation will be.  Hopefully, the regulators will not preceive that
they are under public pressure to make us safer.   I think that the program
review is probably a good one .... we may have to have Quality Assurances
Programs similar to those found in Rx therapy .... brachytherapy sources, etc.

I agree that we can't ensure that no one will not deliberately misuse RAM;
however, we can make it impossible for the person who does a deliberate act
... e.g. spikes the water fountain or someones food... to work in Science
again.
At the very least the offender should loose his/her job.

JERRY THOMAS

At 08:27 11/1/95 -0600, you wrote:
>Radsafers,
>
>I am skeptical that any licensee can " ensure that they have a
>radiation safety program in place that will prevent deliberate
>misuse of radioactive materials in all licensee areas."
>
>I believe that this is an impossible standard.
>
>I would be interested in hearing any dissenting views.
>
>-Alan Jackson, MS, CHP
>University of Michigan
>(313) 936-1587
>alanjack@umich.edu

CAPT Jerry A. Thomas,  MSC, USN
Chief Radiological Physics
Department of Radiology/Nuclear Medicine
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
4301 Jones Bridge Road
Bethesda, MD  20814-4799

E-mail:  thomas@bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil
Phone:   (301) 295-3246