ED underresponse in pulsed x-ray fields

     Radsafers,

     We recently performed X-ray radiography at Byron using a 6 MeV
     electron accelerator (MINAC 6) with a tungsten target as the X-ray
     source.  I anticipated that the electronic dosimeters we use on site
     would underrespond but was surprised to measure a 90% underresponse.
     This effect occurred with EDs placed in line-of-sight with the MINAC
     and well out of the beam.  The effect was not observed in areas where
     the beam or the leakage (effective energy of 2.5 MeV) had been
     attenuated by concrete walls or floors.  In these cases, the EDs were
     in lower dose rate fields and responded accurately.

     The experiment was not set up with research grade rigor but merely
     consisted of EDs placed side by side with ion chamber self reading
     dosimeters (SRDs) at various locations in the vicinity of the MINAC.

     There are several factors which probably worked in concert to produce
     the underresponse.  The MINAC 6 delivers 4 usec pulses at a rate of up
     to 200 per second.  This equates to a duty cycle of approximately
     0.0008 meaning the peak dose rate is approximately 1250 times the
     effective dose rate.  The EDs underrespond to high dose rates (ie.
     thousands of rem/hr).  Also, the electronics may have been fooled by
     the pulsed nature of the radiation.

     This is just an informative message.  If anyone wants further
     information or has had similar experience, I invite comments.

     Paul Vitalis
     ALARA Health Physicist
     Byron Nuclear Power Station
     4450 N. German Church Rd.
     Byron, IL 61010

     Byrpv@ccmail.ceco.com

     Any opinions expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily represent
     those of my employer.