Re: Dose received from air travel?

To: RADSAFE --INTERNET radsafe@romulus.eh

They are saying that Oklamona city at 39,000 ft is only 11% less than being
over the poles???  I wonder if they get Northern lights there too?

Radiation Protection, Ministry of Health, British Columbia
The opinions and material above are solely those of the author.
This is a disclaimer for postings to bulletin boards, newsgroups
etc., on the internet.
*** Reply to note of 11/02/95 15:20
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 95 17:18:16 -0600
Sender: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>

 One generic number cannot necessarily be used as a representative dose rate.
 Dose rates to people in aircraft at altitude are highly dependent on altitude,
 latitude, and sun spot cycle.

 The FAA's Advisory Circular #120-52, "Radiation Exposure of Air Carrier
 Crewmembers," dated March 5, 1990 says:

   "At an altitude of 35,000 feet, for example, the dose equivalent rate from
    cosmic rays isabout 6 microsieverts (0.6 millirem) per hour."

 AC 120-52 was revised in January 1992 as DOT/FAA/AM-92/2, "Radiation Exposure
 of Air Carrier Crewmembers II."  Table 1 of that document lists:

 Location         Altitude, ft        uSv/hr
 Oklahoma City       1,200             0.04
     "     "        39,000             8

 Polar Region          "               9

 Equator               "              4-5

 Bruce Pickett
 The Boeing Company, Seattle, WA
 shea136@kgv2.bems.boeing.com

 |"You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime,|
 | you just might find, you get what you need" - Rolling Stones|