Re: FOOD IRRADIATION AND THE PRESERVATION OF VIT. C -Reply

According to an article by Bernard Cohen in the June, 1992 issue of "Nuclear
News", it appears that most irradiation of foods (pork, poultry, etc.) is
done around 100 krad - 300 krad.  Spices can be irradiated up to  several
million rad, and with grain, onion, and potatoes only a few tens of krad is
needed.  I recommend digging out the article if you keep these mags, it's
full of usefull data on health effects of NOT irradiating food - makes you
want to write your congressperson. (Kim, I would badger someone into sending
you a copy)   He also mentions the reduction of vitamin content (although
not quantitatively) and that if a person's diet consisted significantly of
irradiated food, they would require vitamin supplements.
(I'd also offer to do the irradiation here but it seems impractical when
there should be someone locally available)
Keith Welch
welch@cebaf.gov

>Does anyone have the actual doses used for say strawberries, spices, etc.?
>The numbers mentioned so far 10krad to x Mrad make a difference.  At
>10 krad we might be able to help.  At 1 Mrad it would put a significant
>time load on the biggest irradiator here.
>
>Dale

KW