Re[2]: STATISTICAL FREE RELEASE RAD SURVEYING TECHNIQUES.

     Jim,

     You make a very excellent point. Statistical sampling is only a viable
     option when one has the process being sampled in control, and by
     control I mean within statistical control. Is the process stable or
     not. If it isn't, and there is a high degree of variation in the
     process, then a random sample is not adequate. To determine if the
     process is in control, one should have collected enough data to
     determine the Cp .. or Ck which is the Process Capability. If the Cp
     or Ck is not within statistical limits, and those limits are within
     (or less than the administrative limits established) statistical
     sampling can not be an acceptable tool. In other words, if your upper
     and lower statistical limits are determined to be .005 units, and your
     administrative limits are .075, you're already in trouble. To refresh
     everyone's training regarding statistical control, if the 3 sigma
     limits are .005, that means that 99.97% of all data will fall within
     those limits, if in control. Anything outside of that is chance, and
     does not fall within random sampling. That is the part you were
     talking about Jim.

     Therefore, I too would be interested in hearing more on statistical
     contamination sampling. Setting a limit for sampling and a limit for
     acceptability is not statistics ... it's a method of conducting a test
     only, and whether or not it is valid, depends on a lot of other data
     and "statistical" tests... with valid conclusions. As stated, I would
     be interested to hear more, and maybe see more on this subject.

     Sandy Perle
     Supervisor Health Physics
     Florida Power and Light Company
     Nuclear Division