Re: shielding contaminants

Daniel,
You are right the present shielding materials contain a some
radioisotopes from A-bomb testing, Nuclear Power Plants
accidents...etc. But my experience tells that it is still match better
to use a shielding, than no shielding at all. First you it will
sufficiently reduce a background. Second you can always calibrate a
spectrometer to known shielding background. Also there is a
possibility to get commercially the shielding with very low background

(from ships construction materials which drowned before I World War),
but it is very expensive. Hope this will help.
Good luck.
E.K.

radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu