RE: Background Levels

>We have a client whose property had a lab which used uranium. The client
>would like to survey the property for background radiation levels. Are
there
>any applicable standards which would apply? and what is the level that
>should not be exceeded? Thanks

> Greg Wulchin
> Sigal Environmental, Inc.
> Washington, DC

Acceptable residual contamination levels from NRC licensed operations is
specified in NRC Policy and Guidance Directive FC 83-23. The numbers are
the same as those that appear in USNRC Regulatory Guide 1.86.  You will
want to get the document and read it for the specific requirements if you
want to release a facility.

Noel D. Montgomery, Capt, USAF, BSC
Health Physicist
USAF Radioisotope Committee Secretariat