Re: Radioactive Contamination Anecdotes

You wrote:

snip-snip

>I would like to give them some examples of contamination
>incidents which could have been avoided if researchers had followed
>proper procedures,  ie. wipe tests, geiger surveys, good lab
practices.

snip-snip

Well, I don't have one that was the result of not following proper
procedures, however, it is interesting. And it is sure to get a few
laughs.

It seems that while performing surveys a researcher found some p-32
contaminated cockroach excreta!!! While performing a survey a
technician noted an increased reading near a soap dispenser. When the
board that the dispenser was removed he found excreta that read 250,000
cpm. Apparently the roaches had been deliberately labeled with the
P-32.

This was reported in the Health Physics Journal Vol. 45 No. 6 (December
1983) pp. 1053-1054.