Re: NRC Inspection

     In the commercial nuclear reactor world it is a little easier to
     detect when RAM is leaving the site, via the use of sensitive portal
     monitors. They are "not" the ultimate detection device and only
     enhance one's ability to identify RAM. Unfortunately no licensee can
     ever guarantee that material has been removed from the premise. If an
     individual is determined to circumvent procedures, they are going to
     do it and they will more often than not, getaway with it. In a
     university or hospital environment, many of the isotopes will not be
     detected with usual instrumentation, thus making it more difficult to
     detect with equipment such as the portal monitor.

     I believe that the cost would be too great, in equipment and
     personnel, to ever get to the point where we are confident, no, not
     100% confidence level, that we can maintain RAM security. It can't and
     won't happen, and I don't think we should ever fool ourselves that it
     is possible. If the NRC or other regulators want this as a "definite",
     we need to remind them that even this government can't guarantee that
     RAM, which is highly detectable, hasn't been "lost" or "missing" over
     the many years. I believe they should "clean their house" before they
     try to clean someone else's.

     Sandy Perle
     Supervisor Health Physics
     Florida Power and Light Company