Re: Radiation safety staff in canadian universitues

At McMaster University, we have a Health Physics staff of 4 consisting of
two professionals and two technicians. We also have 5/7th of a secretary.
We provide services to about 950 workers. Our numbers may appear a bit
inflated since in addition to the users of radioactive material and
analytical X-ray units, we have a 5 MW swimming pool type nuclear
reactor, a 7 MV FN tandem accelerator, an RDS cyclotron for producing
positron emitters for the PET unit, and a 3 MV KN accelerator. We also
have a Regional Radiopharmacy.
Incidentally, our FN Tandem accelerator, reputed to be among the best in
the world, is about to be decommissioned for lack of funding. We are open
to offers and no reasonable offer will be refused. All ancillary
equipment would be included (pumping systems, electronics, etc). There is
little in the way of activation of components. We have run a triton beam,
but this was from a sputter source. The tritium was absorded into
titanium cones and then bombarded with cesium atoms. We estimate that
only the order of tens of curies of tritium was actually sent down the
beam lines. The laboratory has been free from tritium contamination,
there were no intakes of any significance even removing the cones, and so
contamination should be an insignificant problem. First come, first
served. The machine will be gone within a year.

John Harvey                            | McMaster University
Senior Health Physicist                | NRB-110
(905) 525-9140 ext 24226               | 1280 Main St. W.
harveyj@mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca         | Hamilton, Ont Canada L8S 4K1