Contamination incidents

Interesting thread - I have been through (too) many contamination
incidents many of which have lessons to learn.  Below are two with
less common lessons.

I received a telephone call at 2:00 A.M. from a housekeeping staff
member.  He had been stripping a laboratory floor when his "buffer" hit a
glass container of pink liquid that the researcher had left on the
floor.  (The PI was suppose to pick up any materials on the the floor and
survey the lab before allowing the cleaning.)  Since the room had a CRAM
label on the door, the housekeeping staff member decided to call
Radiation Safety - he remembered the instructions given to him by me in
an inservice a month or so earlier.  I went to the office, determined
what radionuclide (H-3) was used in the laboratory, picked up swabs and
went to the lab, swabed the floor, counted the swabs ...  The liquid in
the container was cell culture media.
I called the PI (at 3:00 A.M.) to make sure that no biohazardous
materials were in the container.  When I debriefed the housekeeping staff
member, he told me that he remembered to call radiation safety but forgot
the phone number.  He WALKED to the security desk and security called me.
Security, of course was four floors down and three buildings over.
(He could have called the hospital operator at 0.)  Oh well.
Furtunately, there was no RAM on the floor.  I called the principal
investigator (at 3:00 am) to confirm that there was also no biohazardous
material.  Lesson:  Only a part of your inservice message is actually
heard and retained.

2.  We noticed at the Radiation Safety Office, that the radioactive waste
container was empty in the radiation safety laboratory.  A search
recovered the waste bag in the dumpster.  Our housekeeping staff member
had taken the waste and disposed of it.  We had given him explicit
instructions regarding radiation safety.  These instructions included
telling him not to touch the radioactive waste.  When we asked him he
said, "Yes, you told me not to touch the radioactive waste, so I was very
careful and handled the bag at its edges."  Lesson:  Be careful not to
use language which when taken literally does not mean what you intend to
convey, especially with people from different cultures or when English is
a second language.

PS  These happened a previous employers.

Kent Lambert
LAMBERT@hal.hahnemann.edu

These are my thoughts.  If they are wrong
I accidentally pressed the send instead of
the delete key.  My employer makes no claim
to endorse my opinions.