Another War Story

     Bruce Dicey's story reminded me of a base wide drill we ran while I
     was an ELT in the Navy.  It was an annual event that the subbase ran,
     usually a reactor accident on some boat.  This particular year it was
     our boat that got to do the honors.  In order to involve the entire
     base we would send a contaminated injured man up to the base hospital.
      The doctors and corpsmen up on the hill did not like having to play
     our silly little games so they usually waved a meter over the "victim"
     and then booted him out.  This year we sent our corpsman up as the
     injured man, only we did not tell them he had just had a nuclear
     procedure done and was rather toasty.  I would have given anything to
     see the doctors face when the corpsman told him he was contaminated.
     Apparently the doctor waved him off with some comment like "I know he
     is contaminated, its part of the drill", the corpsman then replied
     (backing away from our guy, or so I was told) "No sir, HE'S REALLY
     CONTAMINATED!!!"  They took the drill a little more seriously after
     that.
     Another time one of our crew members had a Gadolinium series for
     ulcers.  After he came back to the boat he used the urinal.  One of
     our bright young ELT's thought it would be fun to swipe the urinal to
     see how much the guy was excreting.  Needless to say the swipe was
     hot.  Right about then the CO came in and wanted to know what was up.
     We told him about the swipe, and he asked us to prove the
     contamination did not come from his reactor.  We spent the better part
     of the day decontaminating a urinal, collecting samples and taking
     them to a jelly counter to prove to him it was from a medical
     procedure.

     Gene Forrer