Observed biological effects vs regs

     Radsafers,

     I recently subscribed to radsafe and caught the tail end of a thread
     concerning stimulating effects of exposure to radiation.  Some of the
     messages stated that research on populations of people exposed to
     occupational and higher background exposures actually showed reduced
     incidence of cancer.  One even mentioned that 5 rem per year may be
     the optimum exposure range resulting in minimum cancer risk.  Even
     though it is apparent that the current regulations based on the linear
     non-threshold model need to be rewritten, the regulators seem to be
     going the opposite direction from what research reveals.

     Can anyone fill me in on the results of some of the current research
     and also discuss why (and how) the regulators (NRC, EPA) are ignoring
     these results in favor of an outdated math model?

     Paul Vitalis
     Health Physicist
     Byron Nuclear Station

     Phone: (815) 234-5441 x2625