Re: Anecdotes

Here's another "atomic anecdote" for your enjoyment and incredulity:

A few years ago, a remote I-125 facility operated by my employer at the time
was closed down. Materials (ventilation exhaust ducting, sinks, plumbing,
flooring, etc.) contaminated were containerized and placed in storage at the
site for decay. A biologist who remained on the skeleton staff was asked to
check the containers periodically for removable contamination using a
portable NaI probe. For two years he reported that no contamination was
detected. We were pleased. That is, until we returned to the site for final
release of the stored materials.

The reason he found no contamination? The probe had no batteries! The
biologist thought that the total lack of response from the meter meant no
contamination on his smear samples. He did not recognize that the probe was
without power the whole two years. Fortunately, subsequent surveys found no
contamination had occurred.

Moral of this story? It pays to make certain your surveyors are trained in
proper instrumentation usage.

Steven R. Frey, CHP, EH&S Director
Andotek, Inc.