Re: CT Dose

James Rutan wrote

>A researcher here at UCLA has submitted a proposal involving the
>administration of several 3H-labeled steroids to postmenopausal female
>subjects.  Several body composition studies will be performed prior to the
>administration of the labeled steroids.  One of these studies will involve a
>single cut abdominal CT scan at L2 to quantitate the subjects visceral fat
>content.  I was wondering if anyone could give me a ballpark figure for the
>dose equivalence for this type of CT procedure.  Also, is it possible to
>relate this to an effective dose equivalence which could be added to the
>effective dose equivalence received from the labeled steroids.

I imagine that the CT fat estimation will be using quantitative CT (QCT).
Dose estimates can be found in a paper by WA Kalender - Effective dose
values in bone mineral measurements by photon absorptiometry and computed
tomography. Osteoprosis Int (1992) 2:82-87

He found an effective dose of 30 microSv from QCT and 1 microSv from DEXA.

Richard Smart PhD
Department of Nuclear Medicine
St. George Hospital
Kogarah, NSW 2217