Re: Dose vs Regs cont'd

Mark,

Safe speed limits?  In the U.S., 55 mph (89 kmph) was chosen not so much as
a safe limit, but a limit to save fuel.  Recently, this national limit was
raised to 65 mph (105 kmph).  Now there is legislation about to go even
further, 75 mph (121 kmph).  One state, Montana, is out to eliminate all
speed limits.  They will drive as they feel fit.  These new standards would
be allowed for interstate highways and not local traffic, obviously.  But,
it seems that this scenario of speed limits vs. linear threshold may no
longer be applicable.  Can we allow exposure to amounts as we feel fit?  Never.

DISCLAIMER!!!DISCLAIMER!!!DISCLAIMER!!!
The opinions expressed may not be those of my employer.

Matthew Williamson
USDOE
Environmental Measurements Lab
New York, NY
tel:   212-620-3793
fax:  212-620-3600
mattw@eml.doe.gov

"I believe that many children are born with an inquisitive mind, the mind of
a scientist, and I assume that I became a scientist because in some ways I
remained a child."
- Leo Szilard