Choose your own risk?

On 11/30Matthew Williamson wrote:

"One state, Montana, is out to eliminate all speed limits.  They will drive
as they feel fit...  ...But, it seems that this scenario of speed limits vs.
linear threshold may no longer be applicable.  Can we allow exposure to
amounts as we feel fit?  Never.

 It was surprising to me because, at the time, I was about to suggest
 just that.  I mean that individual workers, informed of the risks of
 radiation exposure, could choose the amount of radiation exposure
 (read risk) that they saw fit.  And why not?  Don't we exercise the
 right to assume whatever risks we choose in our day-to-day lives now?
 Different careers carry with them different risks.  If someone
 considers mining or police work to be too risky, they don't choose
 those careers.  If it were the government's job to regulate risks in
 all areas, just imagine what kinds of jobs wouldn't exist...farming
 for one.  Why should it be so different in the world of radiological
 risk?

 People perceive risk differently if they are in or out of control of
 the risk.  For example,  objectively, flying is safer that driving.
 Still, there are those who are afraid to fly anyway because they are
 not in control, so they drive.  Similarly, if people are given a
 choice as to how much radiological risk they will incur on the job,
 some will choose more, some less.  Employers would state up front
 what they considered a minimum annual dose limit for the work as a
 condition for employment.  This would allow workers to know what
 risks they were expected to take up front.

 There are so many risky things the government wouldn't think of
 regulating because that would infringe on our personal rights to
 choose to smoke, ride motorcycles, jump out of airplanes, eat
 unhealthy diets and be HPs.  Doesn'tit seem oddly out of place that
 the government should regulate the amount of risk that individuals
 are allowed to take on the job?

 Tell me if I've gone off the deep end on this and I'll drop it, but
 as long as were changing the world, why not consider it an option?

 Paul Vitalis
 byrpv@ccamail.ceco.com

 "You can't beat a dead horse to death."

                                Wally Johnson