Obviously I am convinced, based on 3500 pieces of data in Dr. Luckey's
books, that hormesis is real. I will act on that conviction. Al
Tschaeche.

*** Reply to note of 12/04/95 12:01

From: ronald kathren
To: RADSAFE --INELMAIL RADSAFE

Subject: Re: Coal vs. Nuclear
I hope that Mr. Vitalis is not attributing a lack of support for the nuclear
option of electrical generation to me.  Certainly I have never stated >'we
will not try to justify nuclear power' as seems to be implied in the Vitalis
statement. v

Having said that, let me note the words of the eminent mathematician George
Polya, who pointed out that two equally intelligent and rational people,
given the same set of data, may come to entirely opposite conclusions.  Mr.
Vitalis apparently has concluded that the nuclear option is 'orders of
magnitude' less risky than the coal option from his examination of the data,
and perhaps this is indeed the case, even when the psychological aspects are
factored in.  However, while we can do all the risk analyses we wish, and
indeed as health physicists we should continue to do this type of activity,
we also need to keep in mind that if the American public does not favor the
nuclear option, this is their privilege in our relatively free and
democratic society, no matter what conclusions we scientists come to
regarding risks.

Ron Kathren