Release Limits

Help!

The WIPP Site, here in NM, is in the process of setting up a small
radiochemistry lab to count environmental samples for transuranics
(primarily Pu). While we expect no activity from these samples, we will need
to do some "spiking" with Pu.  This may result in items "contaminated" with
some small amounts of Pu; items such as pipette tips, and other solids.

We have searched the applicable CFRs, DOE Orders, etc. to find free-release
limits for these items but have come up with nothing.  All we find are
limits for discharge of liquids to sewers (DOE 5400.5), and
surface-contamination limits from 10 CFR 835  for items whose surfaces are
readily frisked.

Can anybody out there provide us some guidance on this topic.

Thanks for your help.  Please respond to me at besta@tis.inel.gov

Bates Estabrooks
Rad. Eng.
505-234-8470