Re: Wearing Neutron TLD under ice-vest

At 08:37 AM 12/14/95 -0600, Sandy Perle wrote:

>     A question has been raised regarding the wearing of a Panasonic UD802
>     neutron TLD under an ice-vest when making power entries. My opinion is
>     that the neutron TLD should be worn on the outside of the vest, ...

I found Sandy's question interesting although it most likely is of concern
mostly
to power reactors and not DOE.  However, the following are by ideas/opinions
on this issue:

1.  Assume that the TLD is an "albedo" dosimeter.
2.  Assume that the neutron spectrum is highly thermalized and directionally
uniform.
3.  The TLD most likely will not respond significantly different due to the
    presence of the ice vest when worn on the outside.
4.  The presence of the ice vest may not significantly affect organ dose
equivalent.
5.  Any changes in TLD readings due to the ice vest for a particular
individual would
    likely be less than variances between various sizes of individuals (5
percentile vs
    95 percentile standard man) and could be neglected.

Bottom line:  Lacking additional information, I'd leave the TLD on the
outside of the
              ice vest as Sandy indicated.

Bob Loesch

Robert M. Loesch
DOELAP Administrator
U.S. Department of Energy
Germantown, MD 20874
(301) 903-4443
loesch@viper.eh.doe.gov
Random number generation is too important a task
            to  be left to chance!