Re: ram in transit

*** Reply to note of 12/15/95 10:49
It's been interesting watching the metamorphosis of this transportation
discourse.  It is true that areas not under licensee control where RAM
is stored incident to transport do not need to be posted.  This is because
they are limited by 49 CFR 173.447 to placing packages in groups not to
exceed a TI of 50.  Many groups can be placed at the loading dock etc, as
long as the groups are 6 meters (20 feet) from each other.  As a previous
radsafer said, this is to limit radiation exposure (hence, no posting).

The only thing I would add, is that contrary to one other comment, there
IS a limit on how long packages can sit at a licensed facility.  Part 20
requires that packages must be monitored within 3 hours of receipt, or 3 hrs
after the business opens if the package was delivered during off duty hours.
It is inferred that when you monitor the package, you open it, and properly
store the material.

As most of you know, the transportation regs have changed dramatically with
the adoption of the 10 - 15 year old IAEA standards by DOT and NRC.  Every
A1 and A2 value has changed, there is now LSA I, LSA II and LSA III labels,
there is a new beast called SCO I and SCO II (SCO = surface contaminated
object), etc., etc.  The list goes on.

Trisha Edgerton
Sr. Health Physicist
State of California, Radiologic Health Branch
pedgerto@hw1.cahwnet.gov