Re: ram in transit

I guess I could have been a bit less cryptic in my previous message.

The "in transit" statement has special significance to an NRC licensee
(especially in the "old" pre-1994 days) as it exempted him/her from having to 1)
post a room or area just because it had RM in it, 2) label the material with a 10
CFR 20 label (if it was labeled in accordance with DOT labeling schemes, and 3)
erect and maintain high radiation area controls in the area where the material
was stored (20.204(d) et. al.).  This was convenient as one didn't have to worry
about the 10 CFR 20 niceties while one was assembling shipments on licensee
property prior to the shipment.

The "new" 20 curtailed the scope of the exemption, as I noted in my note.  You
still are exempt from labeling and high rad area controls (for a period of days),
but you must post.

The dividing line between NRC and DOE regs is a bit nebulous, but generally my
experience has been that DOT regs become effective when you start staging for and
on this, but it seems to agree with the general approach taken in the
transportation industry).  I seem to recall that "in transit" was defined in DOT
regulations dealing with the contractual relationships between a shipper and a
consignor.  It was not limited to nuclear transport.

A previous commentor mentioned 49 CFR 173.447, "Storage incident to
transportation-general requirements."  This regulation uses the transport index
as the criterial of interim storage on docks, warehouses, vehicles, etc.  TI can
also depend on curie content of the package for certain isotopes.

To my knowledge, what you described is not ancient history.  Word is that DOT is
intending to implement some new regulations in order to come into compliance with
international standards, but I'm not sure where that stands.

As an aside, if one is anticipating doing some shipping, he/she would be very
well advised to take a review course so that you can understanding the structure
and philosophy of the regs.  Once you understand what the writers were thinking,
the regulations become fairly easy to decipher.

Jim Barnes, CHP
RSO
Rocketdyne Division; Rockwell Aerospace