Re: RAM in transit

When I used to work at a nuclear plant, I was involved in numerous shipments
of RAM.  I remember that when loading a flatbed with LSA boxes, if we didn't
finish before leaving, we had to post the area around the truck as a
radiation area (if applicable).  Once the truck was loaded, and placarded,
then there was no posting required, even if the truck remained on the site
over night and even if it would normally constitute a radiation area around
the truck (by NRC rules).  Under DOT rules, you can have a radiation area
around a transport vehicle.

As indicated previously, DOT regulations apply for material in transit.  The
grey areas are in the interpretation of what constitutes "transport".  I
remember that at this plant, the interpretation was that as long as a
vehicle was loaded and placarded for shipment, it was considered "in
transit" and required no area postings.

As far as changes in DOT regulations, they have been modified mostly to
match the international standards, for example in utilizing the UN numbers
instead of NA, and in the designation of specification packaging.  55 gallon
drums changed from 17E to 1A1 etc.  I am not aware of any specific changes
in RAM requirements.

William R McLain
wrmclain@nwrain.com
Tacoma, Washington