Re[2]: ram in transit

     Trisha is absolutely correct. I was in Washington, DC last week and
     then was in transit to Chicago a 2 Ci. Cs-137 source was shipped to my
     facility. It arrived at our loading dock on Thursday morning and was
     only addressed to Florida Power and Light Company. I suppose the
     shipper figured out that the "high;y" paid mail room staff would most
     definitely know to whom the shipment should be delivered, and that
     they would properly notify the recipient. Of course this was far from
     the truth. As luck would have it, one of the other HPs on the
     corporate staff was notified and the survey was completed just minutes
     before the 3 hour limit was exceeded. Our staff determined that the TI
     on the shipping papers was not correct. The company who shipped the
     source will not be names, however, they are a large corporation. One
     would not think it necessary, however, it would be prudent for you to
     do the following when expecting a shipment of radioactive material:

     1. Have the shipper notify you "prior to shipping" the material.

     2. Provide you with the name of the shipping company, estimated date
        of delivery and a number for you to check on shipping status.

     3. Make them understand that they MUST have a name and a phone number
        on the shipment and shipping papers so that the proper personnel
        are notified when it is delivered.

     4. Document everything ...

     Sandy Perle
     Supervisor Health Physics