Effective and Average Neutron Energies of (Alpha,N) Sources Behind
Hydrogen Containing Shielding. Nachtigall, D. is an author of both
articles. Al xat@inel.gov

*** Reply to note of 12/20/95 07:41

From: Cummings, Frederick
To: RADSAFE --INELMAIL RADSAFE

Subject: Re: Questions on an Am-Li source
     Francis,

     The fluence to dose/de/kerma data for Pu-Li or Am-Li sources can be
     found in a note in an early issue of the HP Journal (I think it's in
     the mid-60s) by Nachtigall (Can someone who has a browser for the HPJ
     provide further direction?).  The spectrum is plotted in Chapter 2 of
     'Dosimetry of Ionizing Radiation', Volume II, edited by Attix.  I want
     to remember an average energy of .5 MeV, but my memory is not to be
     trusted.  The spectrum is ***very*** different from moderated Cf-252
     and extremely different from the unmoderated sources.  The dominant
     neutron peak is between 150 and 350 keV.  There is a PuLi source at
     PNL (Joe McDonald) that was going to be used for dosimetry research,
     but to my knowledge, it has not seen any significant action.

     Happy Holidays.

     Rick Cummings      cumminfm@inel.gov