S-35 contamination?

Dear Radsafers:

A researcher here showed us a document from Perkin Elmer which states
"There have been reported occurances of alpha-35S label escaping from
various types of reaction tubes and contaminating thermal cycler blocks.
We strongly recommend the use of [alpha-33P]-dNTP for cycle sequencing."

Our question is not if there is any 35S given off but rather what is the
level and if this is really a problem if done in a hood?

Probably any answers should be sent directly to me.  If anyone else wants
to know about the replies that I get, also write directly to me.

Pete

Peter Fear
Radiation Safety Office
SUNY Health Science Center