-------- Forwarded message ----------
From: sas@samaritan.edu

As a member of the Radiation Safety Committee, we are
responsible for reviewing research protocols for our IRB.
In reviewing clinical research we are aware of the FDA and
NIH guidelines for radiation exposure of research subjects.
However, when standard clinical tests are involved (such as
nuclear med spect scans), when must the dose exposure from
these test be included in our evaluation of clinical research
protocols?  Is there a difference between normal healthy
volunteers and patients.  Clearly, if the procedure is a
standard diagnostic technique which can be ordered by
any physician, the radiation exposure is excluded from
public exposure limit regulations, however, can it be ignored
even when it plus an "experimental" procedure will exceed the
FDA or NIH guidelines?

Steve Sapareto
Good Samaritan Regional Med Ctr
Med Physicist