Re: Laser Regulatory Program

They do indeed need all that equipment, and more as well.  It's been a
while since I've been in the laser business, so I'll have to look some things
up.  If many of the people you'll be regulating have high speed pulsed
lasers, such as excimers, ND/YAG, etc, I recommend a _very_ fast scope,
400 MHz bandwidth minimum (That's right, minimum.  Some people here now
have femtosecond, i.e., white light, lasers.).  Be very wary when looking
at digital scopes, however.  In 1990 I examined several analog & digital
scopes for detecting nanosecond laser pulses.  An "inexpensive" HP digital
scope with a claimed bandwidth of 400 MHz required about 2.5 hours to detect
the pulse from the laser detector at all (10 nanosecond pulses 10 times per
second didn't give much probability of finding the pulse.) while a Tektronics
analog/digital hybrid rated at 100 MHz found the pulse instantly & displayed
it with little/no noticable distortion.

Very fast, < 500 ps risetime, pulse detectors usable over a broad range can
be home built using very inexpensive photodiodes and/or phototransistors.
Unfortunately, I forget the part number of the diode I used & the Newark
catalog is no help.

I believe that many laser manufacturers also make detectors.  I would try
calling Spectra Physics and Lambda Physik.  If they do not make
calorimeters (a.k.a. bolomteers) they can certainly direct you to someone
who does.  (I think Spectra Physics made the one I used, but it was
acquired >20 years ago.)

Probably the most important item your inspectors will need will be safety
goggles rated for the wide variety of lasers they will encounter - from
industrial metal cutting death-rays to gigawatt pulsed ND/YAG research
lasers.  These safety goggles are quite expensive $200-$300 each, and you
are going to need them _all_ to cover the spectrum of wavelengths & powers
you will encounter.  The most complete supplier, 5 years ago, was a small
co. in Alberquerque (sp?) N.M. I'll see if I can get the company's name
tomorrow.

Hope to have more specific info. soon.

Don Jordan                          Tel. (312) 702-6299
Office of Radiation Safety          Fax        702-4008
The University of Chicago           email: don@radpro.uchicago.edu
1101 East 57th Street, Room 11
Chicago, Illinois  60637
                -- Any opinions are the author's --