Re: Life Span Study of Hiroshima and Na

Dr. Goldsmith,

[Group: Sorry about my "delayed" message re the RERF data. It was in a machine
that I had used for email when my primary computer was out, and I used it the
other day for email and was surprized to send a message from the email
reader.]

However, the point that was explored then was that the raw RERF epi data is
not available. There are only analyses done with the grouped data. This seems
to have been confirmed (even by a major int'l figure who worked on BEIR V!) If
anyone knows whether there is any new info on this? (My curiosity was
originally related to the effect of the selected bins on the severe "sawtooth"
results in the <40rem dose range.) Does anyone know whether the estimated
individual doses are reported as single values, or just as ranges, which would
make the issue difficult to address and require a lot of work?

> Detailed data were published this year by Shigematsu, I, et al in
> "Effects of A-Bomb Radiation on the Human Body" by Harwood Academic
> Publishers and Bunkodo Co. Ltd. It is well illustrated and translated
> from the Japanese. ISBN 3-7186-5418-0
> Excess mortality for other than cancer and hematological disease during
> 1966-1985 is increasing above 2.5 Gy for those under 40 ATB, but not for
> those older than 40 ATB.   John Goldsmith( gjohn@bgumail.bgu.ac.il)

I appreciate the reference. I will try to find it. I have been using the "no
effects at <200 rad" data (in Kondo, from Shimizu). You are indicating that
this now reports excess mortality only above 250 rad? Only for people exposed
at <40 years old? (Since >40 would now be >90 we can assume most has been
expressed, although since the longevity is greater for the survivors, do we
know if age-adjustment is adequately considered? especially for leukemia
(which is common for people >90 who have had long excellent health - as we
have recently seen in our friends and family.)

Thanks.

Regards, Jim Muckerheide
jmuckerheide@delphi.com