tritium detection

Being one of the furloughed federal employees I am late in adding to this
discussion.  But that has never held me back, so ....

The only way you will detect tritium with a windowed detector is if you
have enough tritium so you can see the bremsstrahlung.  We could easily
see curie levels, and I suspect you could see 100's of mCi'sper window
area.

Several windowless monitors are on the market, and they work, albeit in very
carefully selected situations, e.g., clean, flat, static free surfaces.  You
also need a low background environment for adequate sensitivity.  These
*** may *** be useable but check them out carefully for your application.

If you have tritium in a chemical form with a low vapor point, then swipes
counted on liquid scintillation is usually more than adequately sensitive
for surface contamination checks.  Take care to check for chemiluminescent
interferences [which is easy on modern units that store spectra].

SLABACK@MICF.NIST.GOV  [NBSR Health Physics Group]
    ...a little risk, like a bit of spice, adds flavor to life

QUIT