49 CFR Quarterly Limits

Forwarded to:      smtp[radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu]
          cc:
Comments by:       JHageman@Admin@SwRI66

   -------------------------- [Original Message] -------------------------
Now that I'm carefully reading the new 49 CFR Part 172, I have found what may
be an inconsistency between it and 10 CFR Part 20. 49 CFR 172.803(b)(1) has a
dose limit of "12.5 mSv (1.25 rem) in any 3 month period or 50 mSv (5 rem) in
any 12 month period." These periods may be a sliding periods and may thus be
much more conservative and in conflict with 10 CFR Part 20, which only has an
annual (calender year) limit of 5 rem.

I would like some comments on this apparent lack of regulatory consistency.