Professor Robley D. Evans died 12/31/95

        The radiation science community lost one of its giants when
Professor Robley D. Evans died peacefully at home on Dec. 31, 1995. He is
best known for his pioneering work with the radium ingesters starting in
the early 30s. He was honored by the AAPM in 1984 when he was given the
Coolidge Award.
       Those who are interested in a comprehensive view of Evans'
scientific contributions should view the BRH video where Dr. Lauriston
Taylor interviewed Professor Evans in April 1978. This video is one of the
"Vignettes of Early Radiation Workers."  The highlight of the video for me
was when Evans was showing Taylor the large threshold for alpha induced
osteogenic sarcoma of 1,000 rads to the skeleton. Taylor commented "It sure
doesn't look like linear, no threshold."  Evans agreed with him. The video
should be compulsory viewing by all radiation protection agencies. I have a
reasonably good copy of the video and I am willing to make copies for
interested individuals for some reasonable amount (about $15) to cover the
copying and shipping. Unfortunately my copy is at my home in Wisconsin and
I won't visit there until the end of February.. I will be able to make
copies in March for those who are interested. Please let me know if you are
interested & then remind me in March in case I lose the list.

John R. Cameron 2678 SW 14th Drive, Gainesville, FL 32608-2050
phone: 352/371-9865; fax 352/371-9866  e-mail: jrcamero@facstaff.wisc.edu