BREMSSTRAHLUNG

We deal with lost souces containing mCi to Ci amounts of beta emitters
(beta gauges).  Since these sources usually have no identification
markings, we do not know the isotope involved.  We have a portable
scintillation detector with a multichannel analyzer for identification of
gamma sources.  The bremsstrahlung from the beta gauges is usually
sufficient to locate the devices with a uR meter.  My questions are:

1. What should the bremsstrahlung spectrum look like?

2. Is there any relationship between the beta energy (E-max,average) and
the spectrum on the scintillation detector?

3. Is there a reference that might give information on this subject?

4. Does anyone use this method to identify beta isotopes?

I have found the reason why my message did not get through before, I
think.  Thanks Melissa.  You may post information on radsafe or e-mail
direct to me at:  jjames@nando.net or call 919-571-4141