Re: BREMSSTRAHLUNG

>1. What should the bremsstrahlung spectrum look like?

Would expect it to be a continuous, downward sloping curve.  See Knoll, Figure
10-5, p. 299.

>2. Is there any relationship between the beta energy (E-max,average) and the
spectrum on the scintillation detector?

Yes.  See Cember, p. 106.

>3. Is there a reference that might give information on this subject?

(See above)

>4. Does anyone use this method to identify beta isotopes?

I have no data on this.  As bremsstrahlung produces no peak energy in the
spectrum, I wouldn't imagine it would be that charateristic a phenomena that it
would be useful except under very controlled conditions (something difficult to
obtain when you're trying to find a lost source).  Bremsstrahlung generally is an
unwanted interference in gamma spectroscopy.

Jim Barnes, CHP
RSO
Rocketdyne Division; Rockwell Aerospace