Re: Non-ionizing Radiation

Dear Margaret,

Fifteen years ago at Texas A&M University, we had a minimal inventory and
survey program for microwave ovens but the program was abandoned long ago.
I don't recall that anyone ever identified a problem with a microwave oven.
We also found it nearly impossible to keep track of all the ovens on campus
or who owned them (many individuals bring their own to campus to use for
heating lunches, etc.).  Now we maintain the survey capability so that we
can be responsive to the concerns of individuals, so we can check microwaves
which are visibly damaged, etc.

We have (or have access to) several other instruments for measuring
non-ionizing radiations such as ELF and UV.  We also measure static magnetic
fields on occasion (MRI units).  However, we have no programs in any of
these areas.

We will soon finalize laser policy and procedures manuals and implement a
laser safety program.  Our RSC decided to take-on non-ionizing radiation but
we did add two new members with laser experience (current laser users).  We
too had toyed with the idea of a separate committee but felt that adding
laser expertise to the existing RSC provided stability while not creating
more bureauracy.  Thus far we are happy with our decision.

We intend to authorize individual lasers and laser installations.  For each
laser, a Laser Safety Supervisor (LSS) will be named.  The LSS will be
similar to being the Permitted User in our rad materials program.

Chris Meyer
Office of Radiological Safety
Texas A&M University
c-m-meyer@tamu.edu