Microwave ovens ??

To: RADSAFE --INTERNET radsafe@romulus.eh

It seems that when one thinks of NIR the first thing that comes to mind is
microwave ovens. Trust me that is not the most serious problem. In the
Province of BC we do not test or recommend testing of microwave ovens unless
the oven has been damaged or modified in some way. To clarify that statement I
usually say something like " if it is in the same condition that it was when
you bought it then it won't leak any more than it did when it was new. Have
you dropped the oven on the floor or slammed the door shut on a spoon that was
in between the door and frame?" I say something like " the oven must be
PHYSICALLY damaged before one has to worry." The oven is basically like a
Faraday cage. Open it up and the Micro's get out.

So when trying to decide what NIR to be concerned about a good rule of thumb i
s to look at power (watts). The higher the watts the greater the potential
for problem. Microwave ovens however are strongly regulated and manufacturers
know how to build them right.Lasers class 4, and UV, and "professor's" RF/MW
inventions of high wattage.  Not VDT's, or ELF.

Radiation Protection, Ministry of Health, British Columbia
The opinions and material above are solely those of the author.
This is a disclaimer for postings to bulletin boards, newsgroups
etc., on the internet.  Randy Ross, rnross@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca