Re: Beta Tx

The 900 keV photon has an abundance of 0.009% according to RHH and an
abundance of 0.02% according to Radioactive Decay Data Tables by Kocher.
So, if the fraction of beta energy converted to bremsstrahlung is:

     3.5E-4*ZEmax = 0.00035*82*1.5 = 0.043 = 4.3%
then
     0.043*(avg beta energy/d) = 0.043*0.5 = 0.02 MeV/d bremsstrahlung
compared to
    0.0002*0.9 = 0.00018 MeV/d
two orders of magnitude difference - I think the first priority is to
worry about the bremsstrahlung.

> >    While we're on the subject of Bremsstrahlung, a show of hands.  How
> >    many of you are receiving your Strontium-89 in lead containers?
> >    Shouldn't we be complaining to the suppliers??
> >
> What other shielding for the ~900 keV gamma (from Y-89 progeny) would you
> suggest?  Sure, lead converts beta energy into brem, but Sr-89, like all
> radiopharmaceuticals, gives you photons anyway.

Kent Lambert
LAMBERT@hal.hahnemann.edu

These are my thoughts.  If they are wrong
I accidentally pressed the send instead of
the delete key.  My employer makes no claim
to endorse my opinions.