Re: NonioniZing

I feel moved to add to what Randy and a few others have said: forget the
ovens and look (not literally!) at the lasers.

The people who use class 4 units in reseach often have never used any other
class and so tend to underestimate the hazard, leading to slack practices
and reliance on the "we know what were doing" school of safety management.

On the subject of microwaves, I recently had a case which might be of interest:
a research group in the engineering field (not electrical engineers) wanted
to use a multi-kilowatt microwave generator.  Apart from the obvious need
for engineered safety features and appropriate procedures for its use,
there was another problem: instead of buying an expensive American unit
(manufactured, one would hope, to high electrical safety standards) they
intended to bring in a cheap unit from a third world country.

The thought of bare terminals at kV potentials sent shivers through me and
we will be getting the thing thoroughly checked out before they start using
it.

With regard to the radiation safety aspect, there are usually knowledgeable
people with measuring equipment in university electrical engineering
departments who can assist researchers in non electrical fields to
correctly set up microwave gear so that they won't cook themselves or their
students.

Best wishes from down under where its +30 C and 90% RH!

Michael Williamson                      ph +61 7 3365 4504
Radiation Protection Adviser            fax +61 7 3365 1577
Occupational Health & Safety Unit       m.williamson@mailbox.uq.edu.au
University of Queensland
Brisbane 4072
Australia