Re: Linear, no-threshold <hwade@aol.com>

>Our studies show little difference in radon levels for those
>who did "much","little", or "nothing" to reduce heat loss; the ratio of
>radon levels for these was 1.02,0.92,1.00 respectively (Cohen, Hlth Phys
>60.634; 1991). I assume that this was because the principal thing was
>adding insulation which does not affect radon levels. The questionaire
>specifically suggested "weatherstripping, closing gaps under doors,
>sealing windows, etc", but that's how the results came out.

It is heartening to see that this question has been addressed. Improvements
in a home's insulation, particularly weatherstripping, generally reduces
loss of air from the house to its surroundings, which should increase indoor
radon. It appears from Dr. Cohen's data that the effect on indoor radon
concentrations is minimal, if anything. Perhaps the reduced airflow reduces
influx of radon (a static pressure barrier effect?).

Bob Flood
Unless otherwise noted, all opinions are mine alone.
(415) 926-3793
bflood@slac.stanford.edu