Re[2]: neutrino LET

     Don't doubt the theory, however, I would assume there were more than
     neutrinos involved

Subject: Re: neutrino LET
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at ~GW1
Date:    1/17/96 11:23 AM

> This note may be of interest to this list; not the sort of LET most
> readers have to deal with.
> Jay Benesch
> benesch@cebaf.gov
>> PHYSICS NEWS UPDATE
>> The American Institute of Physics Bulletin of Physics News
>> Number 253  January 11, 1996 by Phillip F. Schewe and Ben
>> Stein
>>
>> DID NEUTRINOS KILL THE DINOSAURS?  Massive collapsing ...
>> Although stellar collapse parameters are  poorly known, Collar has
>> ventured to calculate the effect of a hypothetical  low-dose, high-
>> linear-energy-transfer (the energy dissipated by a radiation per unit
>> length through a biological sample) neutrino flux on terrestrial
>> animals; he suggests that collapse neutrinos may well cause a
>> catastrophic level of cancerous malignancy, with ensuing large-
>> scale loss of life, at a frequency (on the order of 100 million years)
>> consistent with known major extinctions on Earth.  (Juan I. Collar,
>> Physical Review Letters, 15 January 1995 (typo: 1996); science journalist
>> can obtain the article from AIP Public Information, physnews@aip.org.

  The article appeared neither in January 15 (V76,No.3) nor January 22
  (76/4) issue of PRL.

  The latest from the PRL's editorial office:
    Yes, Collar's article has been approved.
    No,  It hasn't been scheduled (for printing) yet.
    Yes, the article is still in the PRL's own computer with January
    15, 1996 as a date of publishing.

  Interesting.

  P.S. PRL's Table of Contents (only free of charge):

    http://publish.aps.org/PRTOC/prl/

  goran@mcmaster.ca