Netiquette, etc.

With regard to Netiquette that was recently reposted, I have a real problem
with rule #2 in this forum:

>2. Respond to the RADSAFE list ONLY if you feel that your response would be
>
>   of interest to every RADSAFE subscriber.  Otherwise, please send
>   your response to the author of the message to which you are replying.

I don't agree with the philosophy.  Postings should be -generally-
interesting, not -absolutely- interesting.  While radon epidemiology bores
me to tears, I recognize that others have an interest, and I wouldn't want
them to stifle their conversation just because there is someone who is not
interested.

Keith Welch forwarded me two notes that were sent to him directly that were
of vast interest to me (and probably others from the number of private notes
sent to me) and that helped clear up the ongoing conversation about tritium
conversion factors.  It seems obvious that it is too easy to misinterpret
Netiquette and take it too far - to the detriment of other subscribers.
I'll bet that I get several (hopefully, private) requests to forward the
info to the listserver after reading this.

As for rule #4:
>4. Do not send commands intended for the listserver to RADSAFE.  For
>   a list of listserver commands (such as unsubscribing or getting
>   messages in digest format), send a message to
>   listserv@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu with the word HELP in the body of the
>   message.

-how can one possibly expect someone to follow Netiquette if they can't
unsubscribe properly to a listserver?

We all do our best.  Let's move on.

Not the opinion of anyone but me.

>3. Include your e-mail address somewhere in the body of your message
>   so that people can respond to you directly rather than clutter the
>   list.
>

>5. No commercial postings are allowed on RADSAFE.
>
>6. If you have questions or problems with RADSAFE that you can't solve,
>   e-mail me at m-woo@uiuc.edu, not through the RADSAFE mailing list.
>

>Thanks in advance for your cooperation!
>

>--
>
> Melissa Woo, Health Physicist                       | m-woo@uiuc.edu
>
> University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign          | office
>1.217.244.7233
> DEHS, MC-225, 101 S. Gregory St., Urbana, IL  61801 | fax
>1.217.244.6594
> http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/m-woo                    |
>

>On Jan 17, 1996 21:47:09, 'Shehane95@aol.com' wrote:
>

>>UN-SUB RADSAFE
>
>PLEASE NOTE RULE # 4

Scott O. Schwahn, CHP
Operational Health Physicist
Continuous Electron Beam Accelerator Facility
(804)249-7551 (w)
(804)249-7363 (fax)