RE: LNT/Radon "Debate"

>From: JMUCKERHEIDE@delphi.com
>To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
<snip>

>It's telling when substantive work like Dr. Cohen's, and others, must go thru
>the fires of hell to get published, when people like Wing can get junk-science
>published in JAMA and EPA can get yet another nonsense mathematical projection
>from miner data published on "a moments notice" in J Nat Cancer Inst ...

	Anybody remember Sternglass and his proof that Strontium-90 in milk was
	the cause for a glitch in the downward trend in the infant mortality
	curve some 20-odd years ago? He conviently didn't bother to correct
	his data for minor items such as the influenza epidemic of the 1910s.

	Eventually real science prevails, but only if the real scientists
	have the courage to stick to theories that are not politically popular
	at the time, or undermine the cause of any entrenched bureaucracy. The
	"scientists" on the losing end tend to yell louder, and then involve
	the general population in their debates.

	Remember that Thomas Edison invented the electric chair to show people
	how DANGEROUS AC electricity was, as compared to his pet, DC. Scientists
	like Steinmetz eventually prevailed, and tinkerers like Edison, (IMHO he
	was not a scientist,) had their theories subjected the final evaluator.

	So please, in this forum, lets keep things open. I'll try my best to
	keep an open mind, and try to ignore the messenger and only look at the
	message. In return I only ask that we keep the 	passions out of the
	discussions, before we get to the Martins and the Coys level.

Frank R. Borger - Physicist     ___      "If I ever had to pick 6 guys to
Michael Reese - U of Chicago   |___      storm a pillbox, and there was no
Center for Radiation Therapy   | |_) _   coming back, I'd pick 6 White Sox
net: Frank@rover.uchicago.edu    | \|_)  fans, because all they've ever known
ph: 312-791-8075 fa: 791-2517       |_)  is losing, and death holds no terror
 					 for them anymore." - Gene Shepard