Re: Chernobyl

George, and all,

Some clarification on the NN article: The Jan 96 NN article is a report on the
Nov 20-23, 1995 WHO conference in Geneva.  There are about 680 excess thyroid
cancers (with "few, if any, deaths" associated with the thyroid cancer), and
NO excess leukemia, in the contaminated area population of about 9 million in
Ukraine, Belarus and Russia and the cleanup workers, with associations to the
very high contamination areas. The article summarizes reports that there are
"about 10 deaths attributable to Chernobyl" in addition to the 30 among
workers at the time (2 explosion, 28 high radiation). The end of the article
notes that there were few papers or handouts, with many slides not well seen
by about 600 attendees, and expresses the hope that WHO will put docs together
quickly, in advance of the other 2 major conferences (March and April ?)
(From other sources I expect that the "about 10 deaths attributable to
Chernobyl" are likely mostly leukemia in the high dose cleanup workers.)

These results seem even more optimistic than EVEN I, with the clear evidence
of NO adverse health effects below about 20-50 rem, would expect with the much
more massive release of reactor core inventory here than any hypothetical
reactor meltdown/failed containment accident. However, the enormous effect of
the difference between acute and extended exposure may affect these exposures,
even for radioiodines, Cs-137, etc, unlike Japanese a-bomb survivors, x-ray
exposures (except highly fractionated like the lack of effects in British
radiologists at estimated 500 rem lifetime exposures), high dose rate sealed
sources, etc. On the other hand we know that the Marshall Islanders and the
Luckey Dragon fishermen covered in weapon fallout ash, including heavy beta
burns, have essentially no long term health consequences, except also a few
excess thyroid abnormalities - but we always ASSUMED that these were just
small populations!

Does anyone have any other reports from that conference in other literature
sources?

Regards, Jim Muckerheide
jmuckerheide@delphi.com